Next week we recognize, World Kindness Day on Wednesday, November 13th. Although the world can be a harsh and ugly place at times, we can all help and make these little steps to show kindness to one another and ourselves. Remember the movie, Pay It Forward with Hailey Joel Osment? Remember crying your eyes out? Imagine if you paid it forward for just a day, maybe to start, and then practice that concept once a month; imagine the effect you could have on someone. It feels good to do good, so let’s start with some of these ideas to brighten someone’s day, especially on World Kindness Day! Here are a few of our favorites:
12 Ways to Celebrate World Kindness Day
- Send kind words in a letter, e-card, or Facebook post.
- Say thank you
- Volunteer – Consider planning a monthly (or weekly) volunteer shift. You might be surprised how much it can lift your spirits to help out with a cause that resonates with you. Check out some options at Volunteer Match.
- Foster or adopt a pet
- Start an online fundraiser – If you’re short on cash for donating, you might want to start a fundraiser on social media. Remind your friends that its World Kindness Day to inspire them to give.
- Paste a sticky note – Write uplifting messages on sticky notes and leave them in various places. For example leave them on restroom or dressing room mirrors, lockers, someone’s computer screen or car window; or even the door to your office or apartment building.
- Send flowers
- Spread compliments
- Shop Amazon Smile – You pay the same prices on products and Amazon will donate .5% of the purchase price to the charity of your choice.
- Exercise self-compassion – Take the time to erase negative thoughts of self-doubt and replace them with kind words of encouragement.
- Pay it forward – Random acts of kindness like paying for someone’s coffee in line behind you or offering to help someone carry their groceries.
Certainly there are many ways to show kindness to one another. Here at GiftTree, we delight in gift-giving and creating exceptional moments. Therefore we offer a variety of gifts from fresh flowers and gift baskets to unique gifts with personalization for that extra special touch.
It Pays to Be Kind
Above all being kind is good for your health! From a wellness perspective being kind and making space to help others and yourself can increase happiness, create positive relationships, improve work performance, decrease stress, and even lower blood pressure. What will you do to celebrate?