This week, February 17 through 23, is Random Acts of Kindness Week! Founded in 1995, the Random Acts of Kindness Foundation inspires people to practice kindness and “pass it on” to others. How should you participate? There are so many ways! Beyond buying coffee for the guy in line behind you, there are opportunities to be very intentional with your kindness. So, to get you inspired to show a little kindness this week, here are seven good ideas.
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
1. Organize a clean-up party! Do you know a park that needs some TLC, or a stretch of road or waterfront with a lot of litter? If so, gather some friends, family or co-workers, grab some gloves, rakes and trash bags, and make that landscape look good as new.
2. Clean out your closets or pantry and make a donation! This is a two-fer – you’re showing kindness to others and showing kindness to yourself. It’s a great way to feel less stressed, more organized and show respect for your living space. Helpful Hint: animal shelters are always looking for donations of old towels and blankets for the dogs and kitties to stay warm and comfortable while waiting for their forever home. Which brings us to idea #3…
3. Walk the dog, play with the cat! Volunteers are always needed at local animal shelters for feeding animals, cleaning up, dog-walking and playing with kittens. So cut out some time spend with those fur-babies who could use some human love and affection.
4. Send an encouraging letter, note or e-mail! Life is stressful, and sometimes the thing that helps the best is hearing some encouragement from a friend. Do you know someone going through a rough time? If so, reach out. You’ll both be so glad that you did.
5. Make today a judgement-free day. This is one of our favorites. RAKF puts it like this: “Make today a day free of judgment – in words, thoughts and actions. The way we judge others is often the way the world will judge us. Therefore, don’t let your fears or insecurities get in the way of truly getting to know someone.”
6. Sign Up for a Walk / Run for a Cause! It’s another two-fer – help out a nonprofit and get moving! To learn more about 5K races you can do for charity, check out Active’s list.
7. Lower your carbon footprint! Here are some quick (and super-efficient) ways:
- Switch to glass reusable containers and phase out plastic containers and sandwich bags.
- Stop using to-go beverage cups – invest in a stainless steel tumbler.
- Unplug devices and small appliances when you’re not home.
- Put up a clothesline in the backyard for drying clothes.
- Avoid buying “fast-fashion” – here’s why.
- Switch to energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Shift your produce-buying to all organic, and local if you can find it!
- One day a week, take the bus, walk or bicycle to and from work.
- Switch your bills to paperless statements.
What ideas can you think of to bring some kindness into the world?