I can’t believe Thanksgiving is right around the corner! This is definitely one of the highlights of the year in our family, as we all get together at my Aunt’s house and see other family members we haven’t been able to see in awhile. The guys go out to the garage and deep fry a turkey in the big deep fryer and stand around watching it, talking about ‘guy’ things, and us girls stay in the house, making all the trimmings and of course, the Ham!
The day always begins with the newspaper ads for Black Friday, cinnamon rolls and the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. The kids will run around after the parade is over, and feed the chickens and play with the farm animals while we begin the preparation of our feast. Every year, each family member is asked to make at least one dish, and over the years, we’ve found our favorites. I’m always required to bring our sweet potatoes with peaches and cashews and of course, I always bring a great fruit basket from Gifttree to snack on while we cook!
After all the food is cooked and ready to go, we will give the kids an opportunity to tell us what they are thankful for. It’s always great to hear what they have to say!
Here are some fun tidbits about Thanksgiving that I bet you didn’t know!
- 91% of Americans eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day
- 50% of Americans put the stuffing inside the turkey
- More than 40 million green bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving.
- The average person consumes 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day
- On Sept 25, 2010 the people in New Bremen, OH made the World’s Largest Pumpkin Pie! It weighed 3,699 lbs and took 1,212 lbs of canned pumpkin, 2,796 eggs, 109 galls of evaporated milk, 525 lbs of sugar 7 lbs of salt and 14.5 lbs of cinnamon. That’s a LOT of pie!
- Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. It is considered the beginning of the holiday shopping season in which retailers make enough sales to get out of the red and ‘into the black ink’.
From all of us here at GiftTree, we hope that You and Yours have a wonderful Thanksgiving, full of good food, good company and great memories!