For the past few years, my knowledge of wine and wine related things has increased dramatically. One of the main reasons for that is my job here – it’s helpful to customers if you know about wine, especially if they want to send a wine gift. Also, wine and I get a long so well, I wanted to know more about it! So here are are a few things for you to ‘get to know’ my good friend wine!
Common wine terms & what they mean:
- Nose – This is the scent or the aroma of the wine… it’s ‘bouquet’ if you will. What you get when you first smell the wine.
- Legs – When you swirl your glass of wine, if you notice ‘streaks’ sliding down from the top of the glass, these are the ‘legs’. Typically the higher the alcohol content in the wine, the more legs it will have.
- Finish – The finish is the after-taste that the wine leaves. A long finish would mean the taste lingers in your mouth more than a short finish.
- Vintage – Refers to the year that the grapes used to make the wine were harvested.
- Varietal – This refers to the specific grape type. For example, Chardonnay, Riesling, & Sauvignon Blanc are varietals of white wines; Pinot Noir, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon are varietals of reds.
Fun Facts about wine:
- The average bottle of wine holds about 2 ½ pounds of grapes!
- There is around 100 calories in a 5oz glass of white wine and 110 in a glass of red wine.
- More wine is consumed in the USA on Thanksgiving Day than any other day.
- Oenophobia is the fear of wine!
- The most expensive bottle of wine was sold at Christie’s Auction House in December 1985. The bottle went for $154,450 and had the initials “Th J” (Thomas Jefferson) etched on the bottle.
My favorite wine quotes:
“I love cooking with wine – sometimes I even put it in the food!” -Anonymous
“Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it!” -Anonymous
I’m sure I could write much more about wine, but I’ll save that for another blog…don’t forget to check out our awesome wine gifts, wine makes a perfect gift for any occasion!