Everything around here seems to be shedding those winter blues. It’s no longer dark when I wake up for work in the morning, the birds are all flooding back home and we have our new selection of spring flowers.
I was sitting at my desk staring out of the window at the blue sky (which is a RARE occasion here in Washington where, as Jeannie says, “our state flower is mold”) and realized the mess winter left behind. My desk is cluttered, I still haven’t found the energy to take down the rest of the holiday decorations at home, the kittens are shedding…I think it’s definitely time to sweep up last year’s dirt and make way for more bright and cheery things. Yes, it’s time for spring cleaning.
I don’t know many people who have the motivation to jump right into good ol’ cleaning time, especially when you stand in the middle of a room and have no clue where to begin. I’ve rounded up a few tricks on how to make it just a little easier:
1. If your rubber gloves are sticking to your skin and you can’t remove them, hold them under cold water for a few seconds and they’ll come right off.
2. Take a digital photo of something as you take it apart to fix it. This way you’ll be able to reference how to put the darn thing back together.
3. Can’t fit a brush into narrow bottles and vases to clean them? Fill them with water and add a tablet of denture cleaner. Viola!
4. Put a tiny amount of baby oil into your bath water to keep that impossible-to-scrub-water ring from showing up.
5. Wait until the sun is shining to rake the leaves. Wet leaves weigh much more and are harder to get rid of.
6. Take the stench out of sneakers by sprinkling baking soda inside of them and letting them sit for a day.
7. Put a sheet or two of fabric softener in your dresser drawers, closets, suitcases, etc to get rid of the stale odors.
8. Rub toothpaste on a rag and go over the scratch marks on your glass ware to remove them.
9. Zipper’s stuck again? Rub your pencil along it. The lead lubricates the teeth so it will be easier to unzip.
10. To remove wax from your candlesticks, pop them in the freezer for about half an hour. The wax will chip right off.
Spring cleaning check-lists are available all over the internet to help you from becoming overwhelmed and refresh your memory of all that’s left to be done.
When all is said and done reward your family and helpers with a pizza and movie night for all of their hard work. Reward yourself with the perfect addition to your bright and cheery home with one of our new colorful springtime bouquets, such as Pretty in Polka Dots, or add the new Hand-Blown Hummingbird Feeder outside of your living room window. Then sit back and watch spring at its best with your loved ones day after day as the hummingbirds begin to make your house their favorite rest stop for lunch!
Happy Spring Cleaning from GiftTree!