As our society becomes more environmentally aware a new trend in weddings is sustainable nuptials. How may you wonder does one have a green wedding? Well it goes back to basics; recycle, reduce, and reuse. Here are some tips to have a beautiful day while still being conscious of the environmental footprint you’re leaving.
- Make sure recycling bins are on hand at the venue for empty champagne bottles and other festive beverages.
- Purchase a used wedding gown, borrow a friend’s, rent one, or wear your mother’s. No one will know the difference and you’ll feel even more beautiful for reducing waste. You also won’t have to figure out what do with it once your big day is over. Also, it could easily be used as your something “old.”
- Use cloth napkins and tablecloths that can be reused. Most venues can provide these in any color you’d like. Flat ware can be provided as well.
- Arrange for a local venue that is easily accessible to your guests. This will reduce excess fuel waste and your guests will be grateful! You can even encourage car-pooling to and from the venue.
- Talk to your baker and caterer about using local organic products. Most can easily meet your requests while still giving you and your guests a great feast.
- Give a great reusable and sustainable gift favor, like the Seeds of Life Oak Tree Kit. Not only will it be a great gift, it will make oxygen for generations to come and allow the recipient to remember your union always.
If you have a great idea, please share!