June is National Rose Month and what better way to celebrate than to send roses to the important people in your life! Here are a few fun facts about roses that you might not know:
- George Washington was the first breeder of roses in the United States.
- Washington D.C., Iowa, New York and North Dakota all have roses as their state flowers.
- There are over 30,000 varieties of roses, making them one of the most complex in the flower kingdom.
- The world’s oldest rose is thought to be over 1,000 years old. It still blooms today on the wall of the Hildesheim Cathedral in Germany.
- Over 1.2 billion roses are sold annually.
Roses are available in many different colors and each color has a specific meaning. Are you considering sending roses to someone? Be sure to check out the meanings:
- Red – Romantic love and enduring passion.
- White – Purity, innocence and young love.
- Pink – Appreciation, admiration and happiness.
- Dark Pink – Thank you.
- Light Pink – Sympathy, grace and gladness.
- Yellow – Friendship, joy and caring.
- Orange – Desire and enthusiasm.
- Peach – Appreciation and sincerity.
- Lavender – Love at first sight.
So, the next time you want to send roses, make sure you’re choosing the right colors for the occasion and check out our great line of Rose Arrangements.