Fall is my favorite season in Los Angeles, watching the birds change color and fall from the trees.
» David Letterman
If you tilt the whole country sideways, Los Angeles is the place where everything loose will fall.
» Frank Lloyd Wright
In Washington, the first thing people tell you is what their job is. In Los Angeles you learn their star sign. In Houston you're told how rich they are. And in New York they tell you what their rent is.
» Simon Hoggart
Prejudices are useless. Call Los Angeles any dirty name you like --Six Suburbs in Search of a City, Paradise with a Lobotomy, anything -- but the fact remains that you are already living in it before you get there.
» Clive James
The freeway experience
is the only secular communion Los Angeles has.
Actual participation requires a total surrender, a concentration so intense as to seem a kind of narcosis, a rapture-of-the-freeway. The mind goes clean. The rhythm takes over.
» Joan Didion
Living in L.A. is like not having a date on Saturday night.
» Candice Bergen
Fun Facts About
- The population of Los Angeles is approximately 3,722,500 (1998).
- The approximate number of families is 1,299,963 (1990).
- The amount of land area in Los Angeles is 468.8 sq. miles.
- The amount of surface water is 75.438 sq kilometers.
- The distance from Los Angeles to Washington DC is 2437 miles. The distance to the California state capital is 351 miles. (as the crow flies)
- Los Angeles is positioned 34.11 degrees north of the equator and 118.41 degrees west of the prime meridian.
- Los Angeles has the largest number of women-owned businesses in the nation.
- The City of Los Angeles is the birthplace of the Internet, Mickey Mouse, Barbie, the DC-3, the Mazda Miata, and the Space Shuttle.
- There are more artists, writers, filmmakers, actors, dancers and musicians living and working in Los Angeles than any other city at any time in the history of civilization. There are more than 1,100 annual theatrical productions and 21 openings every week.
- Marina del Rey is the largest manmade recreational harbor and is home to more than 6,000 private yachts and boats as well as 3,000 additional boats in dry storage.
- Los Angeles is home to around 170 colleges and universities.